Sunday, August 05, 2007

The Beginning

Well, here it is- my first official blog. To be honest, I'm not sure how

I feel about this whole blogging frenzy that is sweeping the world.
Despite many urgings from friends I have resisted the myspace and facebook revolutions, and yet, for some unknown reason, I have decided to try this blogging thing out.

First off, I feel that I should explain the title of my blog, A Strange Education. I wanted the title to be something that is almost undefinable, because I really don't know what this blog will evolve into, and so I feel like this title is vague enough to allow me to write pretty much anything and have it apply. As to precisely where this title came from, it is the title of a song that I found in iTunes, I recommend the song, definitely check it out and see what you think. Also, the band, The Cinematics, are from Scotland and if you know me well you know that my dream is to marry a black man with a Scottish accent. http://youtube.com/watch?v=C0lmmIeH4xk

Ok, enough of the randomness, let's get down to business, namely, story time. This past Wednesday I went to my first ever demolition derby and it was definitely interesting. One man decided to go shirtless, and luckily he wasn't hairy or overweight but he was covered in tattoos. My favorite tattoo was in the middle of his chest, a Mickey Mouse hand flipping you off. Yeah, pretty amazing. Another interesting character we met was a men whose nickname is White Devil- how fantastic is that? The really great part of the whole evening was the actual demolition derby. I never realized that I liked destruction so much! I've always had a snobby attitude towards the type of people who attend events like that, but I found out that on the basic level, I am just like them. I cheered as a gray battered station wagon rammed into a car that was on fire and smoking. When the last two cars were going after each other I cheered as loud as everyone else in that arena. At the time I didn't think much about my sudden change of heart, but with more time I've decided that all of the preconceived notions and "rules" that I live by are apt to change at any moment...

No comments: