
Does anyone watch The Office? It is one of my favorite shows, it's so funny it kills me! The season premiere is September 27th, so this is basically a trailer for it...in written form...on a blog. http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/
Anyway, there was one episode where the staff spent practically the whole day betting about various things, such as if Creed would notice that they switched the apple he was eating with a raw potato. (He didn't by the way). That episode inspired me and a co-worker, who from this point on will be referred to as El Torrito, to form our own betting pool. El Torrito has to escort interview candidates up to their interviews, and so our most common bet was to guess the age of the interviewees. We would either pick high or low, as in above 30 or below, above 40, etc. and we only had the person's name to base this on. So there really was no skill involved, it was complete luck. We would bet fifty cents, and each had a up on our desk entitled with the words "Bet Winnings" on it.
So apparently the Mega Lotto is up to over 300 million dollars right now, which has many people in a frenzy to buy their tickets. In my office there is a woman who went around seeing if anyone wanted to chip in some money so they could buy more numbers and thus have a greater chance of winning. When she got to me I said thanks for the invite, but not interested. (I just can't see the value in throwing away money like that. Granted, I'll buy a new pair of shoes or jeans at a drop of the hat, but I've never been a hard core gambler. At least not with my money). I told them that I don't gamble and my friend backed me up so they let it slide. However, they did say that if they won they would give me $10,000 and I was definitely ok with that!
So then after I'd left work El Torrito told the other office folk about our betting and so of course they gave me a really hard time about it. But here is my justification; when at work, anything that gets you through the day and does not harm anyone/anything is kosher. Because honestly, if I didn't do things like betting people's ages or throwing paper clips at my colleagues I would definitely go insane. (The other day I threw a paper clip at a friend who had been harassing me and it hit him in the mouth, narrowly missing actually going into his moth. Now that takes skill!) So here it is, my challenge to all of you: find something to do at work that entertains you, whether it be playing pranks on other people in your office or humming the theme song to Gilligan's Island, just do whatever you have to do to stay sane, and if it is entertaining let me know! And maybe I'll do a shout out to you in a future blog...
No comments:
Post a Comment