Thursday, September 20, 2007

The best medicine?

As a student of comedy...ok, I am not a student of comedy- I'm actually not sure exactly how one becomes a student of comedy, is it an official kind of education or more of a self guided tour of comedic people- but it sounded like something cool to say and I do like to laugh so I figure it's ok. Anyway as I was saying, or rather writing, there is this hilarious show on HBO called Flight of the Conchords. It is about 2 guys from New Zealand who are folk music singers in New York trying to make it big. And it is seriously funny. I don't mean that it is funny about serious things, but that it is really, really funny. Here is a link to their myspace page where you can check out some of their songs and clips from their shows: http://www.myspace.com/conchords Also a link to the HBO website: http://www.hbo.com/conchords/

Why am I pushing this show on you? Because it is funny, but also because I think that one of the most important things in life is being able to laugh. Especially at yourself. If I wasn't able to laugh at all of the dumb and slightly inane things that I do then I would have to dwell on the reality, which is that I often do and/or say really ridiculous things. And embarassing things. An example off the top of my head? About a month ago I was at work and I my right side was itching. Now normally there is a tag on my underwear that will occasionally itch my left side, but as I mentioned, that day it was on my right side so later when I went to the bathroom I noticed that I had my underwear on inside out. Honestly, who does that? Just one example of why it is so essential to be able to laugh at oneself (especially for me, as this type of thing is pretty much an every day occurence. Not the exact story, but something similarly dumb).

Anyone want to hear another funny story? More random than funny actually...so I went with an amiga to Trader Joe's the other night right before it closed just to pick up a few things. As we were waiting in line my friend noticed that the register had a bell next to it, so naturally when it was our turn to check out we asked him what it was for. Unfortunately he wouldn't let us ring the bell, instead he gave us a little plant thing that they sell at the registers. So random!!! Anyway, nice guy, but slightly weird, so I told my mom to take the plant to her classroom at school.
Lessons from today's blog: first of all, while I would choose medicine over it if I were seriously ill, laughter is really important and secondly don't encourage people at Trader Joe's. They end up doing weird things like giving you plants.


No comments: